23 November 2008

The Daily Slog

Dear Mandella,

I think it has been about two weeks since I've been able to get to my home computer and take a look at the blog. Work has increased at both of my jobs. On top of that, Chance had a nasty case of doggie-bronchitis that left me exhausted from vet clinic visits and just cleaning up after the little vomit bombs he'd left all over.

But, that's over now. Chance is a happy and healthy dog (we're still finishing up the course of antibiotics, but he's over the contagious stage) and I'm trying to catch up on everything else.

I did finish something, but I'm trying to remember . . . Oh, yes, the Kimono Wrist Warmers. I'll post photos soon. I made it a free pattern that people will get with purchase of the yarn (Berocco Ultra Alpaca Fine) from String of Purls. It's machine washable, which I think is wonderful, and soft as can be.

I've got the top left shoulder together on the Dinan jacket/cardigan that I've been knitting for my friend Jane. The right shoulder is coming along. Just a few more rows on the top right and I can stitch that shoulder. Then it's just the sleeves and the ribbing around the neck and fronts.

I finished up a scarf I'd started some time ago. It is knit with three strands of acrylic yarn on US 13 needles. I used two strands of Caron soft in dark blue and one strand of a Red Heart (or something) in dark blue. The Caron soft has a deepness/richness to the color.

Here's a simple scarf pattern:

Cast on an even number of stitches.

Rows 1 and 2: *K1, P1* repeat to the end
Rows 3 and 4: Knit all sts.

Repeat the four-row pattern until the scarf is about 60" long. Add fringe if you like.

It lays flat, has a nice texture, and works every time no matter how many stitches you cast on. For the above-mentioned scarf, I cast on 22 stitches.

Anyway, I found that scarf at more-than-halfway done, so I finished it on Thursday evening while watching the 2nd half of a Law & Order rerun, a Daily Show/Colbert Report rerun, CSI (original), and Life on Mars (the USA adapted version). I put the fringe on it this morning. Someone will have a nice surprise at the office Christmas party (Dec. 2) when we do that gift-exchange game.

I have since started in on a scarf for the family gift exchange (Dec. 25) from Cascade 220 washable in a lovely colorway that utilizes dark blue, turquoise, and lime green.

Today I finished up the annual Christmas letter, something I usually have done by the end of September. I try to get all of my Christmas cards into the mail by December 1st, especially since I send so many outside of the USA. We'll see how I do this year.

I didn't go over to my mom's house today for sewing -- I was just too exhausted from everything else that has been going on -- but I'll be there all day this coming Thursday, which is our annual Thanksgiving holiday. We'll actually do the Thanksgiving meal on Sunday (a week from today) with all of the family at my mom's, so having a mid-week break for sewing will be a treat. I don't have to work my full-time job on Friday, but I'm scheduled to be at the stationery shop as usual from 2 to 6 in the afternoon. We've gotten very busy as the holiday season has come upon us.

And, as usual, I'm far behind on laundry.

Big hugs!

Judith

No comments: