03 July 2009

Secret Pal 14 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

My favorite yarns to knit with are wool (regular and/or superwash), alpaca, silk, and blends that include those fibers. In general, I don't enjoy knitting with yarns that have no give, but that's not an absolute because I've knit with mercerized cotton and with silk. I've even got a couple skeins of yarn that are a mix of nylon and some kind of polymide or acrylic but, strangely enough, it's kind of springy. Mainly I *don't* want a whole skein of Red Heart whatever because it just hurts my hands to work with it.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

I have roll up pocket cases for my dpns and crochet hooks. I have a whole bunch of straights that I'm going to donate because I rarely use them; the ones I'll keep I have a plastic container for. It's my circulars that are kind of a mess. Right now I collect them in Zip-Loc baggies that have a panel on the outside so that I can write the size on it.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I started knitting when I was in my teens, then gave it up for about 20 or 25 years. I started knitting again around 2003, I think, and I haven't stopped yet. I'm at least an intermediate level knitter, maybe between intermediate and advanced.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Sorry, but no. Well, maybe I have one on Amazon, but I haven't kept it up in ages.

5. What's your favorite scent?

Money. OK, seriously, I like outdoor scents -- that little bit of earthiness just after a rain, the smell of prairie grasses in summer and autumn, the smell of wood and leaves burning in autumn and winter, the gentle fragrance of some trees as they bloom in the springtime.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Me? A sweet tooth? Would my enormous belly be an answer to that question? I like all sorts of candy except for licorice (sp?).

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I dye yarn (mainly superwash), I've been known to crochet a few doilies, I can do embroidery and needlepoint (but not cross stitch), and I sew (both garments and quilt tops). I don't spin, I don't quilt, and I get cross-eyed from counted cross stitch.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I like all kinds of music except for head-banger stuff. Really, three chords and a lot of screaming that's supposed to pass for passionate lyrics? forget it! But I listen to hip-hop, R&B, blues, other jazz, gospel, new age, classical, soft rock, classic rock, and even some country (so long as it isn't too overwrought). I have a generic MP3 player and my computer can play MP3s.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

I like all kinds of colors. I swoon over some fuschia/plum/chestnut/gold combinations as well as those that run into rich blues with lime greens and touches of lavender. I love red and I'm knitting a pullover for myself out of a bright and rich red that I dyed. Intense or pastel doesn't matter, jewel tones or neutrals doesn't matter. What matters to me is that it's interesting.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

My DH and I have been married for 17 years. We have a dog and 2 cats.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Scarves and mittens, yes; hats and ponchos, no.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I love to knit socks. I like knitting mittens, wrist-warmers, hats, scarves, cardigans and pullovers. I've knit one glove so far (it's not great, but it will do), but it hasn't put me off gloves forever. My latest thing is learning to knit lace. I hope never to knit a poncho. I have at least one throw that is a UFO. I think I have no patience for these things.

13. What are you knitting right now?

Oooh, that's kind of embarrassing. I just sorted through my stuff and I have an entire container of UFOs. I'm working on finishing up these things. Right now I'm working on the pair of socks for my nephew. OK, I'm working, too, on a felted bag from some leftovers, but that's another story.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Yes, so long as they're in good taste.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

My absolute favorites are Addi Laci circulars. After that, it's the Addi Turbo circulars. I have a few odd pairs of straights in bamboo and plastic.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Yes to both.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

About 3 years, I think.

18. What is your favorite holiday? What winter holiday do you observe?

My favorite all-time holiday is Christmas, but I'll celebrate anything.

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Yarn and UFOs apparently! Other than that, no.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I have about everything I need in this category. I don't get magazine subscriptions because they very rarely design anything in my size.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

I'm trying to learn temporary cast-ons for lace.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

I have an entire bin of sock yarn. It's embarrassing. My foot is about 9.5" around (at the ball) and about 10" long. (I wear a US 9-1/2 Wide shoe, if that helps.)

23. When is your birthday?

My b-day is June 9. I just turned 50! Yipppeee!!!!!!!

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?

On Ravelry my name is Elishka.

(Edited to correct info on #22.)

No comments: